Friday, February 23, 2007

Sleep paralysis?

This is an old experience. somewhat scary yet interesting...

I think I had a few experiences of something that is maybe sleep paralysis. It was a bunch of times when I was in college. I was dozing off in bed when I heard a knock on the door. I could see the door but was completely incapable of even getting off the bed. It was lousy because I used to try very hard to move until I was just fed up. After a while or so, I used to snap out of it. when I woke up a while later (and could move my limbs) I once noticed that the bed was in a different position altogether. This is how I realized that it was maybe some kind of a dream.

I had this exact same experience about 4 or 5 times. And it never felt like a dream.
As in I always thought my eyes were open since I could see the room, the bed, myself in it,
and the door in front of me.

I was never able to ascertain if someone did knock on the door.
In such a case, MAYBE this happened cause my mind(awareness) jerked to consciousness while the body was still asleep. [*sceptic]
I have read about such experiences though.

Apparently, there is a normal mechanism of paralysis that occurs when one is in deep sleep.
They say it is useful because it prevents physical movements (for most people) during a dream.

6 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger V said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't read too much into this. It just means you are lazy even in your dreams :)

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger clash said...

I ve seen chundu struggling to speak after a couple of smokes :) He was in senses but was thrashed by "knock knocking on heavens door" in your room!!

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Lidia said...

hmm...i'm not sure if i've experienced this :) But i have experienced things where i have seen something on the tv but even now can't discern wether it was real or in a dream....is this the same thing?

That's really really interesting!
Cool blog by the way!
-Amy

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger kvmurali32 said...

but 'lazy' is by will ;)

@clash: i think most of us had brief experiences of that sort. esp in your knock out room.

@Amy: hey, that sounds like an interesting experience: not knowing if an incident was real or a dream.. but i think sleep paralysis is like when you're body is or seems paralyzed (feels like a dream once you snap out of it)

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger clash said...

Hello.. How are you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home